Sunday, January 8, 2012

Review: Scarlet by A.C. Gaughen

Title: Scarlet
Author: A.C. Gaughen
Series: Stand Alone
Source: ARC Copy Netgalley
Published By: Walker Books For Young Readers (Feb. 14, 2012)
Genre: YA
My Rating: 4 Stars

Goodreads Description:
 Many readers know the tale of Robin Hood, but they will be swept away by this new version full of action, secrets, and romance.

Posing as one of Robin Hood’s thieves to avoid the wrath of the evil Thief Taker Lord Gisbourne, Scarlet has kept her identity secret from all of Nottinghamshire. Only the Hood and his band know the truth: the agile thief posing as a whip of a boy is actually a fearless young woman with a secret past. Helping the people of Nottingham outwit the corrupt Sheriff of Nottingham could cost Scarlet her life as Gisbourne closes in. It’s only her fierce loyalty to Robin—whose quick smiles and sharp temper have the rare power to unsettle her—that keeps Scarlet going and makes this fight worth dying for.

My Review:
Two chapters into this book I just knew that I was going to love Scarlet's character.
After I got over the initial shock of the way things were worded, which, I imagine is probably very similar to the way they spoke then, I just instantly liked Scarlet.

She is rough and gruff and maybe even a little crass. She is feisty and is such a tomboy that most people think she is a boy, most people think she is in fact not Scarlet but Will Scarlet. She has a mystery behind her and personal demons that she doesn't want anyone to know about, not even Rob.

When I first saw the synopsis for this story I knew I had to read it. I loved the tale of Robin Hood growing up and I will admit, loved the movie Robin Hood with Kevin Costner and Christian Slater when it first came out year ago (okay I just might have dated myself there with that confession). I mean, really, who didn't love that movie?

I think I actually loved the story of Robin Hood way before that though. Maybe it started with my early childhood and the Disney movie version of the story, either way, I knew this different twist of the story of Robin Hood and his band of merry men was going to be great and I was so excited to read it when I got approved by Netgalley for it.

This story is just brilliantly thought up. I truly loved reading this, so much so that I had a hard time putting it down.

Scarlet is such a great character. I loved how she didn't let anyone push her around. She is courageous and loyal and wants to do good even though she has to do some bad in order to do the good. I loved discovering what her demons were and watching her find her way.

Robin, John and Much were such amazing side characters too. I loved them all.
Robin, an earl with his birthright taken away and him trying to still look after his people and save them from the Sheriff and trying to save Scarlet as well.

John and his big oafishness. I love that he was a little bit of a ladies man in this book. I liked his big brother protectiveness towards Scarlet that later turned into a little bit of something else too.

Much was like that little brother that was sweet and kind and you just wanted to look after and keep safe.

The two main villains in this story were pretty great too for being evil that is. The Sheriff of Nottingham and then Gisbourne who is every bit as evil and cunning as the sheriff.

I don't want to say too much about the story because truly I don't want to give anything away but I do think that if you are a fan of Robin Hood and want a new (and very good) twist on the story, definitely pick this book up and read it. It is so worth it!

The only bad thing I can really say about this book is that the ending was left a little up in the air. There really isn't a happily ever after to this story, but, I am hoping that means that we may get a sequel because I would love to have one! I want more Robin and Scar and the whole gang!






 

This also fulfills one of my books for the Stand Alone Reading Challenge.

3 comments:

  1. Great review, I'll definitely need to give it a read!

    George

    GeorgeGable.Com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw this on Netgalley and Imwas wondering about it. Sounds like a fun read. Thanks for the review. I can't decide whether I like the cover or not. What do you think?

    ReplyDelete
  3. It funny that you ask that about the cover Heidi, it wasn't until I looked at it enlarged that I decided that I liked it. If you read the book you will see that the way the cover is, her eyes mostly, does have significance to the story. ;)

    This was a fun read once I got past the way they talked. It was hard for a couple of chapters though.

    ReplyDelete