Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Review: Dark Frost by Jennifer Estep

Title: Dark Frost
Author: Jennifer Estep
Series: Book Three in the Mythos Academy Series
Published By: Kensington (May 29, 2012)
Source: ARC Provided by the Publisher
Genre: YA Fantasy
My Rating: 4.5 Stars

Goodreads Description:
 I’ve seen so many freaky things since I started attending Mythos Academy last fall. I know I’m supposed to be a fearless warrior, but most of the time, I feel like I’m just waiting for the next Bad, Bad Thing to happen. Like someone trying to kill me—again.

Everyone at Mythos Academy knows me as Gwen Frost, the Gypsy girl who uses her psychometry magic to find lost objects—and who just may be dating Logan Quinn, the hottest guy in school. But I’m also the girl the Reapers of Chaos want dead in the worst way. The Reapers are the baddest of the bad, the people who murdered my mom. So why do they have it in for me?

It turns out my mom hid a powerful artifact called the Helheim Dagger before she died. Now, the Reapers will do anything to get it back. They think I know where the dagger is hidden, but this is one thing I can’t use my magic to find. All I do know is that the Reapers are coming for me—and I’m in for the fight of my life.

My Review:
  Dark Frost, Jennifer Estep's latest installment of her Mythos Academy series can only be described as Estep at her best.
Once again we are plunged into Gwen's world of magic and mythology, of battles and deception, of half truths and lies. Mystery and suspense, good guys, bad guys and even guys in between and always a battle of good versus evil as Gwen tries to track down the Helheim Dagger and of course, save the world.

Right away there is a fierce battle with the Reapers and Gwen knows it is only going to get worse as the Reapers get more and more desperate to locate the Dagger. She knows no one will be safe until she can find it and make sure Loki doesn't escape his prison.

Gwen is starting to learn more about her mother in this book and not only that but also more about her Gypsy powers and what she is capable of. She also begins to unravel a little of the academy's secrets as well as some of the students and staff. Like always, things aren't always what they seem and as simple as they should be for Gwen.

She is getting stronger in every sense of the word and truly becoming a Champion that Nike would be proud of. I really enjoyed watching Gwen grow in this installment and become the warrior that she needs to be. Taking charge and doing what has to be done to get the job done and to keep everyone safe.

Gwen struggles a lot through this book but she overcomes them all. I think this one was way more emotional than any of the past ones have been. It seemed like one minute I felt anger for Gwen, then her sadness and heartbreak and then her joy and triumph.

Truly this is one roller coaster ride of a read. This series just keeps getting better and better and I can not wait until the next book. It is going to be a long agonizing wait to see what happens next.


2 comments:

  1. What to TMST? I really wanted to see your answer :(
    I am reading books 2&3 in this series this week. I really liked the first one and it sounds like this one is great. I will be back to compare notes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know! I feel so bad that I have missed the past couple of weeks (and more than likely next week too). :(

    I hope you like book two and this one too Heidi, they get better and better as they go. ;)

    ReplyDelete