Saturday, May 12, 2012

Review: The Lost Code by Kevin Emerson

Title: The Lost Code
Author: Kevin Emerson
Series: Book One in The Atlanteans Series
Published By: Harper Collins Children's (May 22, 2012)
Source: ARC Copy Provided by the Publisher
Genre: YA Fantasy
My Rating: 3.5 Stars

Goodreads Description:
 WHAT IS OLDEST WILL BE NEW, WHAT IS LOST SHALL BE FOUND.

The ozone is ravaged, ocean levels have risen, and the sun is a daily enemy. But global climate change is not something new in the Earth’s history.

No one will know this better than less-than-ordinary Owen Parker, who is about to discover that he is the descendant of a highly advanced ancient race—a race that took their technology too far and almost destroyed the Earth in the process.

Now it is Owen’s turn to make right in his world what went wrong thousands of years ago. If Owen can unlock the lost code in his very genes, he may rediscover the forgotten knowledge of his ancestry…and that less-than-ordinary can evolve into extraordinary.


My Review:
  I adore mythology, all kinds really. Greek, Roman, Egyptian, you name it. So when I saw the synopsis for Lost Code I knew it was something that I needed to try.

This really truly was a unique creative story that managed to mesh a variety of topics and still work. It had some mythology in it (which I loved!) , legends, lore and then throw in a dystopian world and you definitely had something different.

The only bad thing is that this book sort of suffered what most first books in a series suffer from, the world and character building was a little slow at times and the story lagged a little because of it.

I never really felt that connection that I like to have with any of the characters, which may just be because there was so much world building going on that it distracted from the characters a little bit.

I did however, enjoy that the leading character in the story was male. I don't think we get enough of that in the YA world so I always enjoy it when I come across a book that is told in the male POV.

And while I wouldn’t say that I loved this book, it was intriguing and it did pick up towards the end just enough to leave you wondering what will happen next and I can see myself continuing with the series just to see where the author takes it from here. I think it can be a great series depending on where the authors goes with it from here.

3 comments:

  1. This book is on my TBR list. ITs number 9 so it's coming up shortly. So I'm intrigued now since reading this. Oh, and I also put you on follow now. You can follow me at ravenousbiblioworm.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete